The Surface line of devices have been highly successful for Microsoft and they’re continuing their good support with a slew of new patches and drivers that should make the Surface Pro 4 an even more competitive device.
Surface Pro 4 just received more massive and critical updates
Initially it suffered from some power management and power state issues that artificially reduced it’s battery life. Driver issues also cropped up, sometimes with the display driver itself crashing, or even strange scaling issues that caused BSODs. Mostly, however, those have been slowly identified and corrected.
It’s also being reported that the Surface Book is also seeing a new update today as well, even if it isn’t listed on the update history page. Those with the dGPU will get new drivers from NVIDIA. these should be updated enough to be able to play DOOM and other newly released games. The hope is that they’re also slightly more stable than previous iterations as well. Having your dGPU’s drivers crash in the middle of rendering something isn’t very productive.
The updates that have been pushed out are listed below:
- Microsoft driver update for Surface Embedded Controller Firmware
- Surface Embedded Controller Firmware v103.1158.256.0 adjustments to system thermal tuning and optimizes battery utilization in connected standby and in low battery scenario.
- Microsoft driver update for Surface Management Engine
- Surface Management Engine v184.108.40.2066 improves system stability resuming from sleep or hibernation and increased reliability of touch and pen capabilities.
- Fingerprint Cards AB driver update for Surface Fingerprint Sensor
- Surface Fingerprint Sensor v220.127.116.11 increase stability of fingerprint sensor when keyboard is resuming from sleep.
- Marvell Semiconductor driver update for Marvell AVASTAR Bluetooth Radio Adapter
- Marvel AVASTAR Bluetooth Radio Adapter v15.68.9040.67 enhances Wi-Fi driver settings to support Gulf region.
- Marvell Semiconductor driver update for Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller
- Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller v15.68.9040.67 enhances Wi-Fi driver settings to support Gulf region.
- Intel Corporation driver update for Intel Precise Touch Device
- Intel Precise Touch Device v18.104.22.168 improves touch stability.
- Microsoft driver update for Surface NVM Express Controller
- On devices with a Samsung solid state drive only, Surface NVM Express Controller v10.0.4.0 improves stability of NVMe Storage.